Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week 4: Recipe #3--Hamburger Pie

This recipe is a favorite from my childhood.  Pretty much the same as shepherd's pie, but we've always called it hamburger pie.  Very easy to make and super yummy!  This is a big hit with Lily, especially if we put a little ketchup on it.  I serve it with bread and a green salad.  (This time I tried one of the pre-packaged salads from the store, Pear Gorgonzola--it was SO GOOD!)

You'll Need:

  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can french cut green beans
  • 3-4 potatoes (I use russet potatoes for this)
  • 2 Tblsp. butter
  • milk, to taste
  • paprika
Preparation:

  1. Prepare mashed potatoes as you normally do.  I usually add the butter and milk to mine when beating with the mixer.
  2. Brown the beef; drain.  Salt and pepper it to taste.  Turn off the heat and add soup and green beans to beef.  Stir together.  
  3. Spread the beef mixture along the bottom of a 11 x 7 baking dish.  Spread mashed potatoes on top.  Sprinkle with paprika.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.

2 comments:

  1. We have this a lot but since the kids HATE mushrooms, I make it with condensed cheddar cheese soup instead. Its pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely HATE mushrooms as well. However, I can never tell they are in the cream of mushroom soups when I am cooking. Cheddar cheese sounds interesting, though. I may have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete