Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 2: Recipe #4--Cheesy Vegetable Rice Skillet

This recipe is from a cookbook called Betty Crocker's Quick and Easy Cookbook (see picture and link to the left).  It contains recipes that are 30 minutes or less to prepare.  Most of them that I have tried really are 30 minutes or less.  This is one of them.  It's VERY simple to make and is good for a last-minute meal because I usually have the ingredients on hand.  I am planning to serve this tomorrow night with a fruit salad and toasted Tandoori naan bread.

You'll Need:

  • 1 can (14 1/2 oz) vegetable broth
  • 2 Tblsp butter or margarine 
  • 1 bag (one pound) mixed frozen vegetables (any combination you prefer or have in your freezer)
  • 1 package (6.2 oz) fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix I can never find a package that is 6.2 oz; I usually just use rice I have in my pantry and eyeball it
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
Preparation:

  • Heat broth and butter to boiling in a 10-inch skillet.  Stir in frozen vegetables, rice mix and contents of seasoning packet.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
  • Cover and simmer 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.  Sprinkle with cheese.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment