Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 2: Recipe #3--Roasted Red Pepper Pasta


This recipe is so tasty!  It is another Pioneer Woman recipe (see link below).  I like using her recipes because she posts step-by-step pictures that I can use while cooking.  I put the changes I made in bold below.  This recipe was pretty easy to make and very fast.  The only snag I had in making it was blackening the red peppers, and that's only because my husband didn't think that the broiler should be on high.  However, when they weren't blackening on low heat, and 7 minutes had already gone by, we switched it to high and they blackened right up.  So it took me slightly longer than 10 minutes.  Just keep an eye on them.  Also, the Pioneer Woman says she likes to peel the charred skins from the peppers without running them under water to keep the smoky flavor.  I tried doing this, but they were just too hot.  I ran them under cold water and the pasta still had good flavor.  I served this with a green salad and garlic bread.

You'll Need:  

  • 3 whole red bell peppers
  • 2 Tblsp pine nuts (optional)  I left these out when I made it--still very delicious!
  • 2 Tblsp olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • flat leaf parsley, finely minced  I left this out
  • fresh parmesan, shaved or grated  I just used the Kraft parmesan I had in the fridge; it was fine.  I'm going to try fresh next time to see the difference.
  • 1/2 pounds to one pound pasta:  orecchiette, penne, fusilli, etc.  I used penne--I like how the sauce gets stuck inside--so good!

Preparation Instructions:

  • Roast red peppers (you can use the broiler or the grill--takes about 10 minutes for them to blacken; see pictures in the link below--I used the broiler on high), and then place in a Ziploc bag to allow to sweat. Peel the charred skins from the peppers, then removed seeds. Set aside.
  • Lightly toast pine nuts in a skillet. Set aside.  (optional)
  • Puree peppers with pine nuts. Set aside.  I just pureed the peppers
  • Cook pasta according to package directions.
  • In a skillet or pot over medium heat, drizzle in olive oil. Add diced onions and garlic and cook until soft. Pour in pepper puree and stir together. Add plenty of salt.
  • Pour in cream and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt, if necessary. Add cooked pasta, and then stir together.
  • Place pasta into a bowl, top with chopped parsley and plenty of shaved parmesan.
Enjoy!  

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth made this for my family tonight and it was yummy (sing song voice) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner last night and it was very good. I would make it again.

    ReplyDelete