Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Week 3: Recipe #1--Taco Salad

I must preface this recipe with a disclaimer:  This is NOT the healthiest of meals; but it is very tasty, and kids like it because there are chips in it.  Also, it reminds me of growing up.  This was a recipe that my mom used to make.  It was usually a summertime meal, but I make it every now and again year-round.  This recipe can be modified in a number of ways (ground turkey vs. beef, lite dressing vs. regular, different chips, different veggies, etc.), but I am going to give you the recipe that I think is most tasty.  Do with it what you wish.  I usually serve this with fruit.

You'll Need:

  • 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
  • 1 bag of romaine lettuce (or fresh romaine that you chop yourself, if you prefer)
  • 1 large avocado
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1 jar of Litehouse Original Thousand Island dressing (found in produce section of store)
  • 1 bag of regular nacho cheese Doritos (okay, you don't need the whole bag, but you'll probably have to buy one for this recipe)
  • 1 small can of sliced black olives
  • cheddar cheese (I usually use 1/2 to a whole bag of shredded Tillamook cheddar)
Preparation:  

  1. Brown the ground beef and drain.  Set aside to cool.  (I sometimes put it in the fridge while preparing the rest to let it cool.)
  2. Chop the avocado and tomato and put in a large bowl with the lettuce.  
  3. Add the can of olives and ground beef.
  4. Add 1/2 to the whole jar of dressing (depending on how much you like) and mix all ingredients together.
  5. Garnish with cheddar cheese and broken Doritos (or mix in, which I prefer).  
  6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment