Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 2: Recipe#2--Crockpot Smashed Potato Soup

This is BY FAR the best soup I've ever made.  I thought I got this recipe from my friend Pam, but she said she's never made it, so it must have been from a magazine or cookbook at her house.  I do know I wrote it down when I was there searching for new recipes.  Anyway, this soup is really good in a sourdough bread bowl served with a salad.  Plus, it's a crockpot soup and it's wonderful to come home and have your house smelling like this after a long day at work.  It's usually something I make in the fall, but it can work for rainy winter days as well.

You will need:

  • 3 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 in. cubes 
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow and red bell peppers I sometimes use more, depends on your preference
  • 1 1/2 tsp. bottled roasted garlic I tend to use closer to 2 heaping tsps., but I like my garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper I tend to use more
  • 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream, or 1/2 and 1/2
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese I use a bag of Tillamook shredded cheddar, 1/2 for the soup and then I leave the other 1/2 out for people to put on top of soup as a garnish
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions  I always have more green onions sliced for the garnish as well
1.  In crockpot combine:  potatoes, peppers, garlic, and pepper.  Pour broth over all.

2.  Cook:  on low heat--8 to 10 hours
            on high heat--4 to 6 hours

3.  Mash potatoes slightly.  Stir in cream, cheese, and onions.  I let it simmer on warm for another 10-15 minutes or so here, then serve.

4.  Serve.  Top with additional cheese and green onions.  I also add salt to taste

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment