Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 7: Recipe #1--Fish Tacos

I think we ate out a bit too much last week, because I have fallen behind in posting my meals for the week.  I have my next five meals ready, but I don't like to post them until I've made them so that the blog remains authentic.

Last night I made the first of this week's meal, Fish Tacos.  It did not go well--did not go well at all.  Let me start by saying that I am NOT a fan of seafood (as you've probably noticed the lack of it on here).  I do, however, occasionally partake in halibut or cod fish and chips if we are at the coast.  Recently I have taken a liking to fish tacos.  While visiting Seal Beach in February, we ate at the same restaurant THREE times just to eat their fish tacos again.  So, I thought, I'm going to try and make my own!  I found a simple recipe to follow online (see link below).

What I failed to think about, prior to starting to cook the fish, was:
1) that I've never cooked fish before
2) I didn't know what I was asking for at the fish counter (I just asked for a pound of cod, like the recipe called for)
3) I didn't know how to tell if it was cooked all the way through (I'm TERRIFIED of eating something partially raw)
4) fish have bones

After cooking the fish too long (this I could tell because of the horrible smell that soon engulfed my house), I realized as I was trying to salvage some fish for the tacos, that the bones were still in it throughout.  I guess I just assumed that they would have already taken those out.  So, we scrapped the whole thing and just got takeout.

Next time, I'm going to buy fillets.  Also, I'm going to have to trust that when the fish can flake it is DONE.

For now, here is the recipe I found.  May you have better luck than me.  (And if you do, please let me know how they turned out.)  I am going to spend tonight trying to get the smell of burnt fish out of my house....
Photo from parents.com


Recipe and link:  http://www.parents.com/recipe/seafood/fish-tacos/

No comments:

Post a Comment