Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Week 6: Recipe #5--Giniling

Photo from Tasty Kitchen blog
I found this recipe on the Tasty Kitchen blog.  I'm trying to branch out and serve different foods than I usually do, and this Filipino one sounded interesting.  Not sure how to pronounce it, but it was quite tasty.  My husband and my daughter both enjoyed it.  It was easy to make, but could have been a lot faster if I had cut the vegetables the night before.  It still only took about 30 minutes.  I did not have hamburger available, so I used ground turkey instead.  Also, we drizzled a little more soy sauce over the top once it was on the plate to add some flavor to the rice.  The one thing I did not include was the fish sauce.  Not being a huge fan of seafood, I just couldn't make myself try that.  To me it tasted great without it; I'll definitely be making this again.
You'll Need:
  • 1 whole large russett potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used ground turkey)
  • 2 Tblsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 whole carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 whole medium onion, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ whole green bell pepper, seeds and rib removed, diced
  • ½ whole red bell pepper, seeds and rib removed, diced
  • 1 whole large roma tomato, diced
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 Tblsp. Fish Sauce (patis) (Left that out--preference)
  • 1 Tblsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 6 cups cooked rice, 1 cup per serving (I made six servings, which was 3 cups of the rice prior to cooking it, if that makes sense)



Preparation:

  1. Begin by adding your potato cubes to a pot of water, bring to a boil, and then remove from heat and set aside for about 5-10 minutes.
  2. During this time, brown your ground beef over medium heat, and once fully browned, drain any excess fat. Place the ground beef in a separate bowl.
  3. To the same pot you cooked your ground beef in, add in the oil and bring to a medium heat. Toss in your carrots, cooking for about 5 minutes. 
  4. Next add in your onion and your garlic. Give a good stir, and continue to cook for a few minutes or until the onions become translucent. Drain your potatoes, and toss those into the pot along with the bell peppers, tomato, and the peas. Add in your cooked ground beef, the fish sauce, the soy sauce, and the cracked black pepper. Give this a good stir, cooking for a couple of more minutes.
  5. To serve, scoop some rice into the bottom of a small bowl, pressing down to form a mold. Quickly turn the bowl over onto a serving plate and top with the giniling.

No comments:

Post a Comment