Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 5: Recipe #1--Enchilada Casserole

I don't know how this recipe ended up in my recipe book or where it came from, but it's there and I've made it several times.  It's a tad messy, but pretty quick to make if you chop the onion and green pepper the night before.  Plus, it's pretty tasty.  I usually serve it with rice, beans, and fruit.

You'll Need:  

  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 green bell pepper coarsely chopped
  • 1 pound ground beef (you could also try ground turkey)
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 2 cans (10 oz. each) enchilada sauce
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese cut in 12 strips
  • 1/2 cup sliced olives (I usually just use a small can of sliced olives)
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I don't use that much; I've always done 2 cups or a little less, and it's been fine
Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Saute burger, onion, and green pepper.
  3. Mix sauce and sour cream in a small, shallow bowl.  (I use a pie dish)
  4. Dip each tortilla in sauce.  Add a scoop of burger mixture and a strip of jack cheese to the center of each tortilla.  Roll and place the tortillas seam side down in a 13 x 9 dish.  
  5. Sprinkle with sliced olives and pour remaining sauce over tortillas.
  6. Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
Delicious!  Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment