Sunday, October 2, 2011

Week 20: Recipe #1--Slow-Cooker Lentil Barley Soup

This was a great recipe for a rainy day.  Coming home after a long day at the zoo was so much nicer with the smell of this soup filling the house.  I got this recipe from a blog I follow called On Our Dinner Table (see link below).  I thought this soup was good, but it needs a little more flavor.  I'm thinking I might add some celery next time and a few more spices.  I served this with some really good bread for dipping.  Makes 6-8 servings.

You'll Need:

  • 8 c. beef broth
  • 4-5 large carrots, sliced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 c. uncooked lentils
  • 1/2 c. uncooked barley
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients into a crockpot.  Cook on low for 8-9 hours.

Recipe and link:  http://onourdinnertable.blogspot.com/search/label/Soup

2 comments:

  1. I made this one also! It was just WAY too much soup for our family. Also the broth was maybe too salty? I think I would use low sodium broth next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, salty, but not enough other flavors. It was too much soup for ours, too. Smelled good cooking, though!

    ReplyDelete