Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 12: Recipe #2--Mac and Cheese Dog Casserole

I got this recipe from Rachael Ray on foodnetwork.com (see link below).  Okay, this is not the healthiest of meals, but it was a winner for Lily (and let's face it, my husband, too).  It was very fast to make, and besides the hot dogs, most of the ingredients were already in my pantry.  I served this with a green salad and leftover crockpot beans (my mother-in-law's recipe--I'll post it when I get it from her).
Photo from foodnetwork.com

You'll Need:

  • 1 lb. elbow macaroni
  • 2 Tblsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 pkg. beef or pork hot dogs, chopped into 1-inch pieces (I used Hebrew National)
  • 1 Tblsp. butter
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tblsps. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup beer, 1/3/ of a bottle--whatever you have on hand, chicken broth can be substituted (I used the broth because it's what I had)
  • 2 cups milk
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 rounded Tblsp. spicy mustard (I just used regular French's--what I had)
  • 2 rounded Tblsp. ketchup
  • 3 cups yellow sharp cheddar, shredded, divided (1 1/2 pre-shredded packages)
Preparation:

  1. Boil a large pot of water for macaroni.  Salt water and undercook macaroni; cook about 7 minutes until just under al dente in doneness.
  2. Preheat broiler and set rack 12 inches from heat.
  3. While pasta works, heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, then add hot dogs and brown on both sides--4 minutes total.  Remove the dogs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.  
  4. Add another tablespoon olive oil, 1 turn of the pan and the butter.  When butter melts, cook onions 4 to 5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute.  Add beer and cook off completely, 1 minute.  Whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, then season the sauce with salt and pepper.  Stir in the mustard and ketchup.
  5. Lower heat and add 2 cups of cheese.  Stir to melt, 1 minute.  Adjust mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper to your taste.
  6. Drain pasta well.  Combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly.  Then pour into large casserole (I used a 13 x 9 baking dish) and top with remaining cheese.  Melt and brown cheese under broiler, 2 minutes.  Serve.
Recipe and link:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mac-and-cheese-dog-casserole-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment