Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Week 38: Recipe #2--Slow Cooker Turkey Loaf

I found this recipe on Skinny Ms. (see link below).  I made it while staying at my parents, but didn't have my laptop (where I'd bookmarked the recipe), so I had to try and make it from memory...and I forgot a lot.  Turned out okay, but a little too well done.  I'd definitely try this again though (with the recipe in front of me), because it's super easy to throw together.  I served this with Balsamic Roasted Red Potatoes and green beans.  Makes 4-6 servings.
Photo from skinnyms.com
You'll Need:
  • 1 lb. lean ground turkey 
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2 c. diced yellow onion (I forgot to add this and the bell pepper, but would next time)
  • 1/2 c. sweet red bell pepper
  • 1 c. whole grain bread crumbs, or whole wheat panko
  • kosher and sea salt, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/3 c. barbecue sauce (I used Trader Joe's)
  • 1/3 c. ketchup
Preparation:
  1. In a large bowl combine all the above ingredients, except ketchup, and mix well.  Lightly spray the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.  Shape mixture into a loaf and place in the slow cooker.  (To help remove the meatloaf from the crockpot after cooking, tear two pieces of aluminum foil, about 3-4", fold in half lengthwise and place crisscross underneath the meatloaf prior cooking.)
  2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Add ketchup to the top about 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.  
Recipe and link:  http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-turkey-loaf/

No comments:

Post a Comment