Thursday, July 12, 2012

Week 37: Recipe #5--Cheesy Vegetable Chowder

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and it comes from a blog called Lulu the Baker (see link below).  Even though it was super hot outside today, I made this soup and it was GOOD.  I followed the recipe, except I used a crockpot instead of cooking it on the stove.  I put the first seven ingredients in the crockpot on low at around 10:30 in the morning, and then about 30 minutes prior to eating dinner I added the last five.  Much easier to not have to worry about dinner, and it smelled good in the house when we came home from the park!  I served this soup with crackers and fruit.  Makes about 8 servings.
Photo from Lulu the Baker
You'll Need:
  • 2 Tblsp. butter
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. finely chopped carrot
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (I added an extra stalk--we like celery)
  • 1 Tblsp. minced garlic
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Tblsp. flour
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2/3 c. milk
  • 2 c. chopped broccoli (I used frozen to save on prep time)
  • 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese (I might have used closer to 3...)
Preparation:
  1. Melt the butter in a large soup pot.  Add onions, carrots, and celery; saute over medium heat until  tender.  (I just threw all of these ingredients, plus garlic, broth, and potatoes, into the crockpot on low for a good 6 to 7 hours, then added the remaining ingredients 30 minutes prior to eating.)  Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
  2. Add chicken broth and potatoes; bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.  
  3. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.  
  4. Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through.  Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
Recipe and link:  http://luluthebaker.blogspot.com/2011/09/cheesy-vegetable-chowder.html

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy! I love your crockpot rendition...I'll have to make this when school comes back around. :)

    ReplyDelete