Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Week 37: Recipe #3--Chicken Florentine Puffs

I found this recipe on Pinterest, and it comes from a site called One Lovely Life (see link below).  I've had a box of two puff pastry sheets in my freezer for a while, and needed something to do with them.  These were AMAZING.  So flavorful and tasty!  I will definitely be making these again.  I didn't change anything about the recipe--it's perfect as is!  I especially love recipes with chopped spinach, because my girls will both eat it even though it's good for them.  I served these with a tossed green salad and some fruit.  Makes 8 puffs.  (My husband and I had one puff each and, with the salad and fruit, were more than full.
Photo from www.onelovelylife.com
You'll Need:
  • 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed and rolled out
  • 2 c. cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
  • 1 roasted red pepper, diced
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 c. gruyere, grated
  • 2-3 Tblsp. fresh basil, or 2 tsp. dried (I used dried)
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tblsp. water
  • optional:  parmesan cheese, for garnish
Preparation:
  1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, spinach, red pepper, cream cheese, gruyere, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Toss until well combine and cream cheese is completely mixed in.
  2. Make an egg wash by beating egg with water.
  3. Roll out puff pastry.  Slice each sheet into 4 pieces (for 8 squares total).  Divide filling among the 8 squares.  For each puff, place filling in the center.  Brush the edge of one half with egg wash and fold in half diagonally to form a triangle.  Press down the edges with a fork to seal.  Brush the top of the puff with egg wash and sprinkle with a bit of fresh parmesan, if using.  Make 2-3 small slits in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
  4. Place puffs on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper or sprayed with nonstick spray.  Parchment is recommended.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until golden.
**Note:  To re-heat frozen puffs:  place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment