Thursday, July 5, 2012

Week 36: Recipe #5--Patriotic Pigs in a Blanket

I found this recipe on a blog called Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons (see link below).  Cute idea for the 4th of July.  They turned out great and my 4 year old loved them.  I served these with fresh fruit and chips.
Photo from Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons
You'll Need:
  • hot dogs
  • crescent rolls
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. water
  • blue food coloring
  • wooden skewers
  • any white block cheese (I used monterey jack)
Preparation:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Beat 1 egg with 1 teaspoon of water.  Take the crescent rolls out of the package and unroll them. Cut each roll into 3 strips and cut off the pointed ends.
  3. Take the strips and wrap around the hot dog.  Spread the wrapped dough with the egg wash.  Squeeze 4 to 5 drops of blue food coloring in a small bowl.  Brush the food coloring on the top half of the crescent so you have strips of red (hot dog), white (crescent), and blue (food colored crescent).  I followed these directions, but I think next time I'd do the egg wash and food coloring prior to wrapping the crescent strips around the hot dog.  Seems like it'd be easier that way.
  4. Place on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 8 minutes or until lightly tan in color.
  5. Push the wooden skewer in the middle of the hot dog and poke it through the top.  Cut thick slices of your block cheese and then cut out stars with a star cookie cutter.  Didn't have one, so I used a knife and did it free hand.  Poke the stars on the top of the stick.
Recipe and link:  http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment