Friday, July 6, 2012

Week 37: Recipe #1--Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

I found this recipe on Pinterest.  It comes from a blog called Pearls, Handcuffs, & Happy Hour (see link below).  I really liked it and so did my husband, but the kids...not so much.  They love black beans, rice, chicken, tortillas, cheese, so I think it was the enchilada sauce that did them in.  At least my four year old said it was "too spicy".  I'm a wimp with spices, and it didn't bother me, plus it was a mild sauce, so I'm not sure why they didn't like it.  I would definitely make it again--but maybe use less sauce on a few of the enchiladas, or leave some of them untouched by sauce.  I served these with fresh berries--love summer!  Makes 4-6 servings.
Photo from Pearls, Handcuffs, & Happy Hour
You'll Need:
  • 2-3 chicken breasts (or a rotisserie chicken), cooked and shredded
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can (28 oz.) green enchilada sauce
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 c. cooked rice
  • tortillas
  • 1-2 cups shredded monterey jack and colby cheese
Preparation:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix the shredded chicken, cream cheese, and 2 cups of the enchilada sauce together.
  3. Pour half a cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
  4. On each tortilla, layer the rice and black beans to your taste, then top with the chicken mixture.  Roll each of the tortillas up and place them in the baking dish seam side down.
  5. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce and the shredded cheese.
  6. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 25 minutes.  Uncover the enchiladas, turn on the broiler, and broil for about 3-5 minutes uncovered--just long enough to brown the cheese.
Recipe and link:  http://pearls-handcuffs-happyhour.blogspot.com/search/label/mexican?updated-max=2010-11-09T16:17:00-08:00&max-results=20


No comments:

Post a Comment