Friday, December 30, 2011

Week 25: Recipe #1--Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

I found this casserole on the Better Homes and Gardens website (see link below).  It's pretty simple to make (especially if you have a rotisserie chicken, or prepare the chicken ahead of time).  I thought it was really tasty, and Lily and Jeff liked it, too.  I served it with green beans and fruit.  Makes 4 servings.  (This is what the website says, but those would be REALLY big servings--I think it could serve 6 easily.)
Photo from Better Homes and Gardens
You'll Need:
  • 6 oz. pkg. long grain and wild rice mix
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped (1/2 c.)
  • 2 Tblsp. butter
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed chicken with white and wild rice soup, or cream of chicken soup (I couldn't find the first kind, but regular cream of chicken worked just fine)
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 1/3 c. dry white wine or chicken broth (I used the broth)
  • 2 Tblsp. snipped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed (I used dried)
  • 2 c. shredded cooked chicken or turkey (I didn't shred the rotisserie chicken, I cut it into cubes)
  • 1/3 c. finely shredded parmesan cheese
Preparation:
  1. Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large skillet, cook onion and celery in hot butter over medium heat until tender.  (Love how this smells!)  Stir in soup, sour cream, wine or broth, and basil.  Stir in cooked rice and chicken.
  3. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until heated through. 
Recipe and link:  http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/chicken-and-wild-rice-casserole/

No comments:

Post a Comment