Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 24: Recipe #1--Sweet Potato-Topped Chicken

I found this recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens website (see link below).  It sounded kind of strange, yet intriguing at the same time.  I absolutely loved the flavor combinations, and my 1 year old DEVOURED it.  My 3 year-old struggled because peas were involved, but other than that she loved it, too.  My husband isn't the biggest fan of sweet potatoes, so I don't think it was his favorite, but he ate it without complaining.  It was also extremely easy to make.  The only thing that I'd do differently next time is that the potatoes weren't completely warmed through, well after 10 minutes of simmering.  I'd heat them first, perhaps in the microwave before adding them to the skillet.  I served this with a green salad and fruit.  Makes 4 servings.
Photo from Better Homes and Gardens website
You'll Need:
  • 1 can (17 oz.) sweet potatoes, drained
  • 1 Tblsp. butter, melted
  • 2 Tblsp. butter
  • 1 med. onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
  • 2 c. chopped cooked chicken or turkey (I used turkey)
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen peas and carrots
  • 1/2 tsp. dried sage, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:
  1. In a medium bowl, mash sweet potatoes with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until smooth.  Beat in the 1 tablespoon melted butter.  Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.  Add onion; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.   Stir in chicken, soup, peas and carrots, and sage.  Cook and stir until bubbly.
  3. Spoon mashed sweet potatoes into six mounds on top of chicken mixture.  Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until heated through.  Sprinkle with pepper.  
Recipe and link:  http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/sweet-potato-topped-chicken-stew/


No comments:

Post a Comment