Friday, April 27, 2012

Week 33: Recipe #2--Porcupine Meatballs

When I was young, I remember going over to my friend Jessica's house for dinner.  Her mom was making porcupine meatballs.  I was horrified, as I actually thought we would be eating porcupine.  I politely took a few nibbles, but tried not to eat it without being rude.  Not until many years later, as an adult, did I find out from one of my coworkers what they actually were...and guess what?  No porcupine.  I came across this recipe a couple weeks ago from a blog one of my FB friends writes called On Our Dinner Table (see link below).  I hadn't had them since that night as a child, so I thought I'd give them another try.  They are tasty!  I will definitely make them again.  They take a bit because you have to let them simmer for one hour, but the prep time is hardly anything.  I served them with green beans and clementines.  Makes 12 meatballs.
Photo from www.tasteofhome.com

You'll Need:

  • 1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper (I always add a bit more of this)
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder (and this...)
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 Tblsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
Preparation:

  1. In a bowl combine rice, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and ground beef.
  2. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.  In large skillet, brown meatballs and drain off any fat.  (If you use really lean beef then you may need to add some oil to the pan.)
  3. Combine tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, and worcestershire sauce and pour over meatballs.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meatballs are done.
Recipe and link:  http://onourdinnertable.blogspot.com/2012/04/porcupine-meatballs.html

No comments:

Post a Comment